LibertyHQ forums

Educating in Economics, History, and Philosophy and Organizing for Liberty
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
Welcome to libertyhq

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: ***May 2013 Low Content Thread***
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Clayton, do you mean something like the idea I proposed here almost a year ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capital ... state_not/

Forum Guidelines and Useful Tips - How to use orange URLs, Youtube videos, and more.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm 

Getting Locked Up For Drinking a Half & Half Arizona Ice Tea

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm 
VIP Member

gotlucky wrote:

Did you see this on the Ron Paul Forums?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:50 am 

Wheylous wrote:
Clayton, do you mean something like the idea I proposed here almost a year ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Anarcho_Capital ... state_not/

Close. I mean, that could be one section within it. I'm thinking of the following top-level divisions:

Society Without Permission:
- Self-development (health & fitness, spiritual development, life skills, etc.)
- Etiquette, social skills, dress, mannerisms, etc.
- Organizational templates (clubs, associations, churches, businesses, HOA's, etc.)

The purpose is not to try to tout a single best method but, rather, to collect into one place a library of many of the best methods. However, each section would have a kind of "guiding template" to help set the tone. The self-development section would give homage to Epicurus and his moral philosophy. The etiquette section would feature some old-fashioned book or article (Emily Post-esque) discussing the crucial role of etiquette and "poise" in life. The organizational templates section would feature Robert's Rules of Order.

Business plans such as yours could fall under the organization templates section... however, I'm more interested in business plans that people have actually used and which worked, even if they are not directly related to liberty per se. The primary idea is to share "what has worked" but speculative material would also be welcome, the key would be laying out the assumptions (i.e. "if you believe X, Y and Z, then you should believe the following plan would work: ...")

The idea is that people will just then copy-paste these templates into their own lives and that by the very act of doing so, they are making everyone freer. By the very act of not waiting for permission from government, they are already implementing freedom. They don't have to have any conscious design to promote the ends of freedom.... to borrow Smith's famous phrase, it would be as though they were guided by an invisible hand.

Clayton -

Let art, then, imitate nature; find what she desires, and follow as she directs. For in invention nature is never last, education never first; rather the beginnings of things arise from natural talent, and the ends are reached by discipline.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:24 am 
VIP Member

Other groups of ideologues seem much better organised than ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 am 
VIP Member

Central bank independence, for ya!

Wheylous wrote:
I just found this gem by Lysander Spooner:

A LETTER TO GROVER CLEVELAND

Where I saw:

Quote:
It was once said, in this country, that taxation without consent was robbery. And a seven years' war was fought to maintain that principle. But if that principle were a true one in behalf of three millions of men, it is an equally true one in behalf of three men, or of one man.

What's also also interesting is that if we consider both Cleveland and Spooner as libertarians, then libertarian infighting was alive and kicking even back then! We haven't changed a bit! :D

Spooner is more libertarian than the vast majority of the LP.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:17 pm 
VIP Member

proxyamenra wrote:

It depends what you mean by "organized".

Libertarianism is the only ideology(that I can think of) which rejects political power. The Libertarian party is and always will be an educational tool. The moment it crosses that line from "educational tool" to "power grab" (not that it ever could due to election laws currently in place) it will be the fall of the LP[not that it's all that great to begin with].

Everyone from social democrats to conservatives to communists believe in political power as a means for "progress", "revolution" or lack thereof. Hence they may appear more organized politically. That's because their central goal is to grab a hold of the reigns of the state and control it.

Suggestions like Clayton's go deeper than worthless political banter. It's apparent that the only viable approach to liberty in the long term is a grass roots movement. Ron Paul's hijacking of the Republican primaries got a lot of young people thinking. Now it's time we start "planning". Non-centrally, of course.

--Steven Pinker

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

A critique of Kirzner, saying that the mainstream does not in fact assume perfect competition or perfect information:

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/i ... z2SADRnsxr

Thoughts? I think that although the mainstream does acknowledge this, they don't really incorporate it very much in their understanding of markets relative to government.

Forum Guidelines and Useful Tips - How to use orange URLs, Youtube videos, and more.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:07 pm 
VIP Member

Wheylous wrote:
A critique of Kirzner, saying that the mainstream does not in fact assume perfect competition or perfect information:

http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/i ... z2SADRnsxr

Thoughts? I think that although the mainstream does acknowledge this, they don't really incorporate it very much in their understanding of markets relative to government.

Yeah, it's easy for them to say "we don't do X" but not so easy for them to show where they in fact apply assumptions that hold contrariwise.

I don't really care much for the mainstream, though the closer they are to Austrian positions, the better it is. The issue is that the neoclassical school encompasses a very broad range of thinkers, including the likes of Buchanan, Coase, Knight, Vernon Smith etc., all of whom are fellow travellers of Austrianism in one way or another, and some of whom also oppose excessive mathematicisation of economics.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:13 pm 
VIP Member

proxyamenra wrote:

That probably one of our advantages too. More decentralized structures, etc..

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
VIP Member

TOTALLY not how I thought Hazlitt would sound.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:17 am 
VIP Member

Clayton wrote:
Thanks for the link. What do you recommend as a Wiki platform? I could probably squeeze a small website into my budget ($20/month) but don't want to pour effort down the drain on something that is not portable, etc.

Clayton -

I had some overview of the market a few years ago, so you'll have to do your research, but I've found Wikispaces a sympathetic and lightweight wiki (they don't push ads on you even if you are a free user, so you can start small and then upgrade). Wikidot has nice features, but they push ads and seem pretty expensive these days, so that's a no. For the Austrian Economics Wiki I needed the MediaWiki platform (you probably don't need that), which is why I ended up with Wikia - seems to be pretty good at averting spam, but it's heavy-handed treatment of users and limitations of design are what turned me off. See what features you really need and start from that.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 am 
VIP Member

How difficult is migration from one of these other Wiki engines to MediaWiki, one that is used widely?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:42 pm 
VIP Member

Prairie wrote:
How difficult is migration from one of these other Wiki engines to MediaWiki, one that is used widely?

Migration will be a hassle, the more content you have and the more stuff you use - there are some scripts for some tasks, or you might make use of some mass text-formatting tools. In all likelihood you'll probably end up doing some fixing by hand, using bots or will have to develop scripts for the task.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:13 pm 
VIP Member

"What is ominous is the ease with which some people go from saying that they don't like something to saying that the government should forbid it. When you go down that road, don't expect freedom to survive very long."
"Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric."

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 pm 
VIP Member

That glorious bastard actually did it. He went and did it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe ... un-photos/

With hard cryptography, how can it be banned? With steganography, how can cryptography be banned?

Agorism is winning.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:11 pm 
VIP Member

I like this quote from him in an earlier article about him: "We like the idea of the market becoming completely black and starving the nation-state from all the money they claim." A completely black market, i.e. a free market.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 pm 

I get what you are saying, but a black market can exist in a free society. A black market is an illegal market, and it would consist of things such as murder or human trafficking in a free society.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

An interesting comparison of Ron Paul and Rand Paul:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... ck_check=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next