LibertyHQ forums

Educating in Economics, History, and Philosophy and Organizing for Liberty
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
Welcome to libertyhq

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Property Rights would make war less likely?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Imagine a world of strict liability in property rights. If some group of people decides to go to war against another (offensively, aggressively), then if they lose then they will have to pay extremely heavy damages from their person wealth.

Isn't this a strong deterrent against war? I've never really thought about it before.

To expand a little bit:

Assume A goes to war with B. A loses. B now tries them in a libertarian court. Now, the people in A who can be shown to actively have engaged in war will have to stand for something probably close to murder and threat of murder. This would likely require heavy compensation on their part. This is a strong deterrent against starting wars.

A followup - someone might say "yes, but this would result in such strain on the losers that they might rebel again" - ah, but remember that they are the losers! They lost for a reason, and if they continue to fight, chances are that they will make their situation even worse. Hence, to not even begin in this dangerous spiral, they would better not ever have started the offensive war.

Forum Guidelines and Useful Tips - How to use orange URLs, Youtube videos, and more.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Property Rights would make war less likely?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:08 pm 
VIP Member

Wasn't Germany punished harshly after the WWI? Have it deterred from starting WWII?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Good question. Was it punished in a way conforming to libertarian property rights?

Forum Guidelines and Useful Tips - How to use orange URLs, Youtube videos, and more.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:16 pm 

It's a good point, but I have something to add:

The whole point of going to court is to resolve the dispute without any further violence. Seeing as the two parties have been in a state of war, if A were to lose, that would mean that B could kill A and take A's property. If they go to court, then A is giving his property to B in order to avoid being killed by B (and B doesn't want to assume further risk). Certainly A could start fighting again (as you said), and if the war starts up again, then I imagine that B will be less willing to go to court this time around.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:32 pm 

I think that you're representing war in a rather naive light . Now the first thing that we have to answer here is "what sort of agents would be making war in an anarcho-capitalist society"? Once we know what we're talking about there then we can determine the goals of this war-maker. Until then we can know little about what defeat would look like and what would happen to them afterwards.

If you think I'm being unfair

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 pm 
VIP Member

I think the analysis depends on the balance of power. Is the ancap society an island in the otherwise statist world? Or is the situation reversed?
This can affect the plans of would-be war mongers.

Report this post